Monday, December 31, 2007

Spiritual

We don't look for things that can be seen but for things that can't be
seen. Things that can be seen are only temporary. But things that
can't be seen last forever. (2Co 4:18 GW)

Through my recent trial, God has been teaching me the importance of
prayer, challenged me to fast, and opening my eyes to the 'things that
can't be seen' i.e. the spiritual world.

It is my hope in the coming weeks to share with you the radical and
revolutionary concepts that I am just starting to learn and understand
that if placed at the forefront of our hearts and minds can and will
change the world around us.

It has been my understanding that the spiritual is the unseen and
prayer is trying to talk to the unseen God but that is a very naive
and narrow view. God is starting to open my eyes and heart to the
more radical view that the spiritual is all that is seen and all that
is real and all that matters.

What if the spiritual is all that is? The spiritual is "really the
only thing that is celebrated... in the arts, in biography and
history, and in most of our popular writings in magazines and the
like." ALL the popular writings-magazines, newspapers, etc focus
primarily on "what people think and feel, on what they might or should
do and why, and on what kind of character they have..." All the
immaterial, unseen and therefore spiritual things! The AMAZING reality
is that "the spiritual simply is our life, no matter what grand
theories we may hold or what we may say when trying to be
"intellectual," "well informed," and "up-to-date.""-Dallas Willard

2 comments:

Iain said...

Keep up the sterling work, Lawsons! We are encouraged by your blogging and teaching. God is using you in powerful ways - do not underestimate that.

What is it? said...

I just had an event that definitely could have been more spiritual...I was riding my bike (with a helmet thankfully) trying to catch up to my kids, and a dog off a leash ran right in front of me causing me to fly over the handle bars and do a face plant on the ground....needless to say, I had a few choice words/ideas pop into my head....but seeing as everything is spiritual...I drew a big breath and brushed myself off and told the dog owner: 'Have a nice day.'

Now my point is: If I were living IN the adventure of seeing everything as spiritual, as seeing everything from a kingdom perspective...I would have been able to take note that ANY occurance can be seen as an opportunity to LIVE in the adventure. What many call a divine appointment! Now if I had that perspective, I would have been able to take the opportunity to bless the dog owner. Thankfully, I was able to hold my tongue and utter the pathetic but neutral: 'have a nice day' comment.